Tuesday, July 10, 2012


Tuesday July 10th 2012
Day Two at Mountain Creek State High School

Today was a great day! I only had sessions 1 and 2 today so during 3 and 4 my teacher and I planned for the week. In session 1 I met a new class of year 12 students. These students I will see three times a week so I was very eager to meet them. When they walked in, the first thing a young girl said to me was ‘wow you’re beautiful’. This made me feel a bit shy inside and almost uncomfortable, but to be honest a little good as well. It was nice to feel accepted in that type of way. The students came in and this was a bigger class than I had yesterday. I took attendance roll to try and learn some names and it helped quite a bit. This theory class is based on physical education sociology. We reviewed from last term and it was a nice class discussion. When I told the students I would be the one teaching them aerobics Thursday and Friday they all had a bunch of questions for me. They were interested once they found out I was a cheerleader and that I can do gymnastic skills. The way it works is I have these students on Tuesdays session 1 for our theory lesson in the classroom. Then I also see them on Thursday’s and Friday’s for aerobics! We watched some competitive aerobic videos to give them a good understanding of what we will be diving into this week. Their reactions were so funny. They were shocked and jokingly talking about being scared. The moves were intense in the video and it was defiantly at a higher level than will be expected. But I had fun with them joking around saying I was going to get them into such good shape they will be just like those performing on the videos. Their assessment for this practicum is to get into small groups and cerograph their own routine. By the end of term it will then be performed in front of all the other year 12 aerobic classes and assessed by the teachers. There are criteria that must be met for the assessment and it needs to be a routine for 2 minutes. This is going to be so much fun. I have already begun my warm up routine for Thursday and Friday classes! I hope I can get them really into this, because it could be very beneficial if they end up enjoying it. My session 2 class was a year 11 health class. This has been the largest class yet. So many teenagers staring at me! It was a little intimidating, however I feel as if I can get used to it. We went over binge drinking today and also addressed their assessment. These students will work in groups and pick a topic that deals with binge drinking. They are to create a survey to present to the year 12’s to get an understanding on how knowledgeable they are on this subject. They are then to create a presentation to give to the year 12 students to inform them of information in hopes to prevent dangers of binge drinking, specifically their topic included. It is a huge project and we have already started creating groups today. I am very anxious to get into these health classes and teach student things that truly matter. I had 2 sessions to plan and follow up on work. Now it’s time to go exercise in the gym!! I am so happy I can finally get back into a routine. Living here has been absolutely amazing. I just cannot believe it’s already been a month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment