Wednesday, August 1, 2012


Wednesday August 1st 2012
Day Eighteen at Mountain Creek State High School

This morning Melissa and I team taught a year 10 dance class. The focus is social group dances. Last week they learned the ‘Tango’ and ‘Jive’ so we begin with a review of those. We considered this to be the warm up! Our host teacher helped us organize and run through these two songs as our warm up. This is a group of three classes combined so the group is rather large. I notice it is difficult for me to be loud enough for all students spread out in the gym can hear. Once Melissa and I began to take over completely, I started with the ‘Cha Cha’. It was very hard for me to team teach, and I never knew this is something I would struggle with. The fact that Melissa and I wanted to both be in charge really had us conflicting. While I was in charge of teaching the dance, I assumed I was the one giving instructions. My way to quiet the students down is much different than her way. While I will tell the students to quiet down, then wait a minute until they all get the point that I am waiting, Melissa is the type to continue to yell very loud until they are silent. I believe they are old enough where I can ask once or twice and then within a minute or two will simmer down. Melissa did not even give it a chance to quiet down before yelling. Her method worked just as I know mine would as well. We just go about it in different ways which we probably should have discussed beforehand. I was getting frustrated that every time I opened my mouth to instruct, I was interrupted by loud yelling. It was so distracting and I know the students were looking at us like they have no idea what they’re doing. It will not work for us to both try to be firm and loud at the same time, the students most likely won’t even understand what is being said. In the end we both talked about it and decided one person will take the roll and the other will stay quiet. We planned to teach two dances but only got through the ‘Cha Cha’. The students seemed to understand to an extent and we ran through it to music a couple of times. It was awesome to see some of them really moving their hips and getting into it. Some of the students just think this is a waste of time and do not try. I can remember being in high school during my square dance unit, some students were exactly the same back then. I had my aerobics class next and it has been so awesome seeing the students work on their routines. If they get stuck, and can give me some ideas to work with, together we end up coming up with these awesome moves. It really works well when the students are participating and genuinely trying to make their routine solid. I really love the fact that the students are fond of me, it is an acceptance I never thought I would need; but subconsciously has been a great reinsurance. My last class of the day is my year 9 Sexuality class. The school nurse came in to talk about ways to prevent conception. The students were so attentive and quiet. This seemed to be the topic that really held their attention. They all got to practice putting condoms on a fake penis, and man it was a relief to see most of them were doing it wrong. Although I only have known my students a short period of time, they are my little kids! I would hate to think they are competent in putting condoms on!! After they learned the correct way, I felt as if this class was one of the most useful in school. These are life lessons that every students should learn before truly growing up. We also learned about birth control methods, some which were even new to me. It was an educational lesson and my students seemed to enjoy. This was a perfect set up for next week, when I teach my first Sexuality theory lesson. It will be on STI’s, how thrilling. It will be interesting to see their reactions! Today has been a long day. My teacher and I stayed and coach our interscholastic sport, year 8 girls’ basketball. There is such a range in skill in my team; we have our work cut out for us if we want to get better. In the evening my teacher and I also went to the year 12 girls’ rugby game. Neither of us had ever seen a girls’ game and it was quiet fun and interesting for us. It was a nice way to bond with my teacher! I am always glad to know my students were thrilled to see me there.

No comments:

Post a Comment