Monday, August 13, 2012


Monday August 13th 2012
Day Twenty Six at Mountain Creek State High School

Being a teacher is just a different name for role model. I love the fact that my students seem interested in me and really love learning about me. Some of the boys asked me if I were going to the gym today like usual, and it hit me that my students notice what I do outside of school. I think this is a great way for them to see how important fitness is even outside of class. I still find it hard to ignore some of the comments the older boys make, but it is getting easier each day. Today during morning tea my visa sponsor Colin and two SUNY Cortland directors came to spend some time with myself, Melissa and our teachers. We showed them around a bit and then sat and had a talk about the school here. It is interesting to see people from New York in the spot I was just a couple of weeks ago, eager with so many questions. The schooling system really is different and it is hard as a visitor to hold back all the questions that pop into your head. It was cool being on the other end this time being able to explain to them how our school works. My grade 8 students had theory today and are working on their assessment. They are creating their own team sport game and then will teach the rest of the class in order to play it. They are just about done with the creating portion and next Friday we will start them off teaching. I love walking around hearing their ideas. Young minds are so creative. It was also funny to hear the groups’ dispute over decisions to be made. I love that this school does so much hands on activities with the students; it really puts the accountability on the kids. This can be bad depending on the motivation level. Some of my students in the older grade levels just do not care; therefore these hands on assessments really just put them to failure because they are not going to take responsibility to perform the task. Sometimes I think those students would do better in a lecture and notes type class but who really knows. Tonight we are having a dinner with all the NY student teachers, Colin, and our visitors from the school. It will be nice to see everyone because with school we are all so busy! I am looking forward to chatting with the groups and sharing my fun teaching stories. I am really becoming very fond of these students, it is amazing to me how attached I feel. It is already week 6 of student teaching and I just cannot believe I am almost done.

No comments:

Post a Comment